The Rebirth

Antichrist

Post  The Rebirth on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:25 am

Discuss.
    Karl
    Admin

Re: Antichrist

Post  Karl on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:46 pm

I still haven't seen this. I think Lars Von Trier is misanthropic. Not that that makes him a bad filmmaker.
    The Rebirth

Post  The Rebirth on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:16 pm

This film definitely doesn't help his case for labeling him a misanthrope. Of course, it can be interpreted so many different ways its almost futile to try and discern his true motivations. I won't go into the plot since I'm not sure if anyone else hasn't seen it, but its a pretty hostile portrayal of human nature, namely woman's nature. I recommend turning your brains on for this one, but if you don't feel like it, the acting is superb. Lars really got the most amazing performance out of his two actors. I really can't name a whole lot of movies that Dafoe isn't good in though. Well, maybe Speed 2: Cruise Control was a poor choice.
    Karl
    Admin

Post  Karl on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:21 pm

i really can't wait to watch it, idk why i still haven't. i'm usually pretty sympathetic to bleak portrayals of human nature, as long as it doesn't get preachy (e.g. michael haneke, a lot of the time.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-O5MZfsolg

charlotte gainsbourg in an earlier role :D

her dad is such a freak. i think i'll start a thread on him in the music section.
    The Rebirth

Post  The Rebirth on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:57 pm

Jesus, I liked the point one of the You-tubers made about the ugliness of the nature of the relationship between the two is a matter of perception. Do you think Mackenzie and John Philips would have been better suited for the roles in this video?
    Karl
    Admin

Post  Karl on Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:01 pm

wow, i actually did not know about that.

K$tu

Post  K$tu on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:58 pm

This movie intends deliver a really freaky and fucked up portrait of evil to a.) shock and b.) to spookify its audience. I think this movie is distasteful in the ways it chooses to part from reality; which limits the meaning it gleams at me
    K$tu

Post  K$tu on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:47 am

There were parts that were so shocking in a really spooky unnatural way that I could almost imagine experiencing IRL. Talk about Hell on Earth but they deserved it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:45 am