A place where a man can be a man

New Forums (Discussion and Status)

Meow
    Admin

New Forums (Discussion and Status)

Post  Meow on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:01 pm

So as most of you know, this is just a stepping stone until we can get a server up and running to host our own forums/website. I have the PC that we're going to use here, but it's having some mobo/HD issues right now, so I have to sort it out. Besides that, there are a few things we need to decide on and discuss, so I figured I'd go ahead and make a sticky thread where we can post of our ideas for it. Here's a quick list of some things needing doing:

Purchase a domain
    -www.classact.com is for sale, but you have to make them an offer which means it's going to be way more than any of us are comfortable with spending. www.classactgc.com and some other variations like that are open and available for a dollar a month or so. The free option is using an ip address instead of a domain or use a site like no-ip.com which would result in an address something like this: "classact.no-ip.com"

Decide what software to use
    -I'm leaning towards phpbb for now, but there aren't too many to choose from. phpbb is really customizable. If someone could figure out what ILX uses, I'd really like to know.

There's more, but I don't feel like talking about it right now. I feel like getting high and watching the Real World and then watching Jersey Shore, so that's what I'm going to go do.

ChicagoShults

Re: New Forums (Discussion and Status)

Post  ChicagoShults on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:47 pm

I am currently using site grounds to host dear-user.com, and they currently have a deal going on for 9.95/yr for hosting for friends I refer to the service. This includes:

Free Domain Name
    Free Site Building Tools
    Unlimited Web Space & Traffic
    24/7 Customer Service

After the year it goes up to $10/mo, which I am sure becomes discounted if you bought a years worth at a time. Let me know if you guys want to do this. Their website is siteground.com
    David McSingleton

Post  David McSingleton on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:23 am

Meow wrote:So as most of you know, this is just a stepping stone until we can get a server up and running to host our own forums/website. I have the PC that we're going to use here, but it's having some mobo/HD issues right now, so I have to sort it out. Besides that, there are a few things we need to decide on and discuss, so I figured I'd go ahead and make a sticky thread where we can post of our ideas for it. Here's a quick list of some things needing doing:

Purchase a domain
    -www.classact.com is for sale, but you have to make them an offer which means it's going to be way more than any of us are comfortable with spending. www.classactgc.com and some other variations like that are open and available for a dollar a month or so. The free option is using an ip address instead of a domain or use a site like no-ip.com which would result in an address something like this: "classact.no-ip.com"

Decide what software to use
    -I'm leaning towards phpbb for now, but there aren't too many to choose from. phpbb is really customizable. If someone could figure out what ILX uses, I'd really like to know.

There's more, but I don't feel like talking about it right now. I feel like getting high and watching the Real World and then watching Jersey Shore, so that's what I'm going to go do.

i second using phpbb, very customizable (from existing mods) and we can even write our own code to make our own mods. as far as the domain i don't see why we need a .com , we can get something else for super cheap and get the name we want.
    The Rebirth

Post  The Rebirth on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:41 pm

.biz caus we da bizzness.
    DopeMasterJFlow
    Admin

Post  DopeMasterJFlow on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:01 pm

^ You software guys should do whatever you think is best and you will have my full commitment / support

"If you can be told what you can see or read, then it follows that you can be told what to say or think. Defend your constitutionally protected rights. No one else will do it for you." - Boards of Canada
    Meow
    Admin

Post  Meow on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:35 am

ChicagoShults wrote:I am currently using site grounds to host dear-user.com, and they currently have a deal going on for 9.95/yr for hosting for friends I refer to the service. This includes:

Free Domain Name
    Free Site Building Tools
    24/7 Customer Service

After the year it goes up to $10/mo, which I am sure becomes discounted if you bought a years worth at a time. Let me know if you guys want to do this. Their website is siteground.com

Yo, that would be really cool to get us started if you want to send me an invite or however that works. I plan on hosting the website by ourselves at some point, but it may be a little bit before I decide to dump any money into fixing a box that will run it. It'd be cool to be able to get a site up and running using the forum software of our choice (looks like it's phpBB), then we can just export the database into our own servers (I know Dave loves exporting databases).

David McSingleton

Post  David McSingleton on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:42 am

Meow wrote:
    ChicagoShults wrote:I am currently using site grounds to host dear-user.com, and they currently have a deal going on for 9.95/yr for hosting for friends I refer to the service. This includes:

Free Domain Name
    Free Site Building Tools
    24/7 Customer Service

Yo, that would be really cool to get us started if you want to send me an invite or however that works. I plan on hosting the website by ourselves at some point, but it may be a little bit before I decide to dump any money into fixing a box that will run it. It'd be cool to be able to get a site up and running using the forum software of our choice (looks like it's phpBB), then we can just export the database into our own servers (I know Dave loves exporting databases).

databases make me wet
    Meow
    Admin

Post  Meow on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:15 am

This is using SMF: http://www.classactforums.com/test1

This is using phpBB: http://www.classactforums.com/test2

Karl
    Admin

Post  Karl on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:39 am

lol, SMF is awesome, but i can't be using a site that blinks all the time
    David McSingleton

Post  David McSingleton on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:46 am

Karl wrote:lol, SMF is awesome, but i can't be using a site that blinks all the time

smf is nice, agree with karl on the blinking though, does the other have any skins or mods to make it look super awesome cool
    Meow
    Admin

Post  Meow on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:04 am

David McSingleton wrote:
    Karl wrote:lol, SMF is awesome, but i can't be using a site that blinks all the time

smf is nice, agree with karl on the blinking though, does the other have any skins or mods to make it look super awesome cool

Yes, that theme was just a joke, there's no way I was going to leave it, lol. Though, I wouldn't mind having a few bitches (maybe in bikinis?) perched up on the sides. A man needs ladies where he lounges.

David McSingleton

Post  David McSingleton on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:05 am

Meow wrote:
    David McSingleton wrote:

Yes, that theme was just a joke, there's no way I was going to leave it, lol. Though, I wouldn't mind having a few bitches (maybe in bikinis?) perched up on the sides. A man needs ladies where he lounges.

I totally agree, i was thinking topless women with diamonds covering their boobies, though try to keep it SFW
    Meow
    Admin

Post  Meow on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:17 am

One of the cool things about SMF is that users can choose whatever theme they want. So I can just upload a few and people can pick and choose. Naked ladies for home, bikini ladies for work!

DopeMasterJFlow
    Admin

Post  DopeMasterJFlow on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:58 pm

Meow wrote:One of the cool things about SMF is that users can choose whatever theme they want. So I can just upload a few and people can pick and choose. Naked ladies for home, bikini ladies for work!

Most excellent!

"If you can be told what you can see or read, then it follows that you can be told what to say or think. Defend your constitutionally protected rights. No one else will do it for you." - Boards of Canada

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:32 pm