A place where a man can be a man

Frontier-town sheriff

KCLU
    Admin

Frontier-town sheriff

Post  KCLU on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:44 pm

in a Texan frontier town, you are the sheriff. a black man is accused of killing a white woman, and an angry mob promptly captures him and demands he be lynched.

you know he deserves a fair trial but fear that if the town's passions arise any farther, race riots will ensure and there will be more deaths than if you grant the mob their murder.

what is right to do?
    KCLU
    Admin

Re: Frontier-town sheriff

Post  KCLU on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:45 pm

alternate thread title: justice vs. consequences, or inalienable rights vs. utilitarianism
    The Rebirth

Post  The Rebirth on Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:17 pm

Lynch him. The guy committed murder and he is a black man in Texas. The likelihood of him being sentenced to death in the state is pretty much inevitable anyway. I don;t know if you should have used Texas as an example. I remember when I was about 9 or 10 and I was in the post office with my Dad, there was a little girl standing with her mother in front of us and in front of them was a black guy buying stamps. The girl turns to her mother and looks up at her and says, "Mommy, is that a nigger?" Literally the only person who looked embarrassed was the black guy, everyone else in the room looked either like they were about to laugh or just were trying to avoid acknowledging what they just heard. So, I don't think a race riot would go well for the black side in the state of Texas, especially since every farmer and his uncle carries a sidearm on their hip.
    K$tu

Post  K$tu on Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:22 pm

holy shit. i'm shocked anyone would rather let him be lynched than question who the real murderer was by proper evidence.

-> suspects are innocent until proven guilty
    The Rebirth

Post  The Rebirth on Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:31 pm

Oh, he was accused, I mis-read it, I thought he actually did it. Well, then my answer is...lynch him. If it's really a frontier town and you have no way to protect yourself and a democratic system, it would be the best option, imo, to maintain order and reduce the amount of lives lost. Stewart you can't just criticize my answer and not give one of your own.
    Karl
    Admin

Post  Karl on Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:33 pm

it depends on a lot of things. what is the town's history, recently and further into the past? how respected are you among the people there? how good of a public orator are you? would it even be possible to capture their attention long enough to talk to them?

it's easy to imagine it would be a situation in which you just have to go with the lesser evil, but obviously you should try to avoid it if at all possible if you value the justice system. though if you managed to become the frontier-town sheriff odds are you have similar values as these people so maybe you'd be fine with lynching him anyway. or maybe you're a james stewart type and you could manage to be a hero through the use of your level-headed morality and charm.

i guess this is why they make westerns.
    KCLU
    Admin

Post  KCLU on Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:19 pm

Karl wrote:i guess this is why they make westerns.
    right? what a genre, exploring all these gray moral areas in completely isolated communities where The Law comes down to some one man's decisions.

K$tu wrote:suspects are innocent until proven guilty
    yeah, I'm thinking that the long-term consequences of honoring this sound and precious principle would override the short-term consequences of more deaths.

I think the atomic bombings were wrong too, the dilemmas surrounding that being similar.
    David McSingleton

Post  David McSingleton on Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:26 pm

Karl wrote:i guess this is why they make westerns.

forgive the randomness : western is one of my favorite genre's, anyone know any good recent westerns. key word recent
    Karl
    Admin

Post  Karl on Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:33 pm

i don't think there are any good recent westerns
    KCLU
    Admin

Post  KCLU on Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:39 pm

I have "The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford" on my comp but haven't watched it yet. from 2007, supposed to be pretty good.
    K$tu

Post  K$tu on Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:41 pm

People of the town should be able to believe in well-being and safety. These simple beliefs are essential to towns that thoughtful & caring people would actually want to be a part of.

If the murderer was not the black man who was lynched, then all of the people of the town are facing someone who's much more dangerous than they ever suspected - because he's unidentifiable, evil, and great at what he does.

This unsuspected murderer scenario is the common enemy that can only be captured with use of proper evidence during prosecution. If there's any way that the town can rely on proper evidence for prosecuting criminals, then I think it needs to; otherwise every citizen in town faces the terror of becoming the family member, or friend, of the murderer's next victim
    The Rebirth

Post  The Rebirth on Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:13 pm

Watch Rosewood. Lol.
    The Rebirth

Post  The Rebirth on Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Dave: They've completely updated the genre so a lot of the Westerns I'd recommend to you aren't really the ones that take place during frontier times.

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada is pretty good, its directed by Tommy Lee Jones.

No Country for Old Men is a good modern Western (hopefully you've already seen it though).

The Good The Bad The Weird looks like it might be good...old-timey Westernish.

And the Jesse James movie is so-so to me. It's definitely more of a study on relationships rather than gunslinging.

Karl
    Admin

Post  Karl on Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:23 pm

oh yeah, No Country For Old Men is a good example, i don't really think of it as purely a western, though. too post-modern.
    Meow
    Admin

Post  Meow on Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:14 pm

Should I move this to the movies thread? lol

I think there are way too many variables to make any sort of near sound decision. I doubt many Texas border towns have any Chinese-Indian Sheriffs anyways..

Lars

Post  Lars on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:47 pm

Karl wrote:oh yeah, No Country For Old Men is a good example, i don't really think of it as purely a western, though. too post-modern.

absolutely. if anyone wants to argue... there is no argument. No Country is not a western. He agrees ---> Happy Matt

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:11 pm